Acer Liquid Metal Gingerbread Android 2.3 – Support Forum

Liquid MT Camera force close [Acer Liquid Metal Gingerbread Android 2.3 - 205663]

Hello,

I just received the liquid MT, and firstly must say how impressed I was with the speed of delivery and also with the presentation of the product - first class.

However, I have encountered a couple of problems when using the device and would appreciate any help. During the initial phone set up, the Android setup utility crashed and had to be force closed. The phone then randomly reset a couple of times.

Once I had got set up, I went in to try out the camera, but that also crashes and requires force close. I have done a factory reset just in case, but to no avail. The handset is running Android 2.3.6 out of the box, which I understand is the current version.

Any advice on how to fix this issue would be much appreciated.

UPDATE - have just flashed the latest firmware image available on the Acer website (which was the same version as that on the handset out the box); it seems to have fixed the problems, camera now works and phone has stopped rebooting every few minutes.

• Eilertsen Staff

Hello,

Glad to hear you got it working. Have had a similar case in the past and we followed the same path, re-flashing with the image from the Acer website.

Thank you for sharing your experience with the rest of us.

Kenneth Eilertsen (Quality Engineer, eXpansys)

Hi Ken,

I am having problems with the hand set again. Now when I charge the device it is crashing and resetting when it reaches between 95-100% charge. I have never encountered this behaviour with any other Android device I have owned. Please can you suggest possible solution. I have also run out of memory for installing applications from the Store, after only having installed a handful of items - certainly have not managed to install every item I purchased on my previous Xperia handset. Is this device just more limited in terms of usable memory? I have used App2sd to move everything possible, but still not enough space.

Thanks

Andrew

• Eilertsen Staff

Not sure on the crashing issue. Things to look into would be :

- Are you using a "normal static" desktop wallpaper, or a "live moving" one.
- Might be worth testing an app like "stay awake" to make sure the phone stays "on" all the time whilst charging.
- Is it the same if you use wall charger and when charging on a PC's USB port?
- Are there any apps installed that monitor the battery life, if so try to uninstall these.
- Not sure if there are any apps installed that can calibrate the battery, if not have a look at the market for such an app.

In terms of built in memory, the  phone does come with quite a few pre-installed apps that you are unable to remove unless you actually root your phone. And before you go to this step, be aware that a rooted phone is no longer covered by manufacturer's warranty.

I have the standard static desktop.

I have not installed any battery monitoring apps.

Not noticed any difference when charging by PC USB or wall charger. 

On available memory, seems I am thus stuck, clearly dont want to lose the warranty. Perhaps this is not the phone for me. A return perhaps?

Ken,

To confirm the phone reboots when charged up using the wall-charger, it did not reboot when charged using USB cable connected to PC.

Can you suggest a remedy? Should I return the handset?

thanks

• Eilertsen Staff

We could be looking at a faulty charger, although it does sound very strange. If you have another charger with the same power output it would be interresting to know how the phone would behave. But if not it might be worth getting it in to a tech center to have a look at it. If you feel this is the way to go then send our customer service team an email : first@expansys.com

• sarab

Hi,

I cant work out how to start a new thread so I'm using this one.

I received my Acer liquid Metal a few weeks ago, but the camera button seems to have stopped working. I can take a picture by tapping the screen but this doesnt work for the camcorder. It was working when I got the phone but suddenly stopped a few day after receiving it. 

Is this a fault or have I accidentally switched something off?

Sara

• Eilertsen Staff

Hello,

Does the camera button still feel normal when you press it or does it feel stuck ? If it still feels normal then it might be worth trying to reset the phone. If not then you are probably looking at a mechanical fault.

As far as I am aware there aren't any settings to disable the camera button.

Beware that resetting the phone will delete all your personal information and all installed programs.

hi there, I have the same problem, can you tell me how I "flash" the image???? i have looked on the acer website but cannot find this issue.

• Eilertsen Staff

If you want to reinstall the latest OS on your phone (flashing it) you will have to do the following :

- Go to Acer's website for your country (ie. www.acer.co.uk for the UK)
- In the manu at the top go to "Support" then "Driver and Download"
- Choose the following in the boxes that appear : "Smartphone",  "Liquid", "Liquid MT (S120)"
- Make sure that the Operating System selected is "Gingerbread"
- Choose the OS tab
- Here you should find a downloadable ZIP file that includes the actual OS and a guide that will help you with the installation process.

Good luck, and don't forget that doing this will wipe all personal information (like photos, apps and settings) from your phone. So do create a back-up before proceeding.

Hi,

many thanks for the information, whilst waiting for the reply I removed the battery and started the phone up again and hey presto the camera started working again, so "flashing" wasn't necessary. Maybe this is a starting point to tell people who have the same problem.

Another piece of information, the problem started when someone invited me to a skype video call, my phone went staraight into this "error" mode.

Thanks again for the response

;