ARCHOS GMINI XS202S – Support Forum

Clock does not work [ARCHOS GMINI XS202S - 129372]

• tweck
Current firmware version: 2.1.43 For some reason I have never been able to use the clock feature on my Gmini XS202s. After I have set all the parameters, highlighted 'Set' and pressed the joystick, the unit will usually display the wrong time (e.g. this morning it showed 9:23 instead of 9:24) and the time reading never changes. Does anyone else have this problem? Am I doing something fundamentally wrong? I don't usually read manuals but on this occasion I ensured that I followed it step by step and I have still had no luck.
  • SHill
I;ve just bought one of these and have the same problem. I also get a message in Windows Media when trying to sync saying that there is an error obtaining the device's secure clock. Did you find out anything about this?
  • tweck
I've e-mailed Archos support about the clock issue. They haven't responded yet, but I only sent the e-mail yesterday so they probably won't get back to me for a few days. I'll post here when they do. As for the Media Player problem, I haven't experienced that myself because I copy my music onto the player manually using Explorer. On the whole, it's a good player for the price tag, even though the equaliser and sound quality are a bit poor. Hopefully the problem with the clock is a software/firmware bug rather than a hardware issue.
  • SHill
I emailed archos yesterday too. I was also getting a problem with the hard disc never shutting down, kept whirring into action every few seconds. I've reverted to the previous firmware version and all is cured for the moment...... Will post if/when I get a reply too.
  • tweck
Mine's been doing the exact same thing with the hard disk too - every few seconds the player is momentarily unresponsive, which makes navigating the menus even more cumbersome than it already is. I sent another e-mail to Archos suggesting that they make it easier to access the ARCLibrary during playback. I said that holding the joystick button for one second should bring up the ARCLibrary. At the moment, holding down the joystick button does nothing unless you hold it for about five seconds, in which case it just pauses playback (which can obviously be achieved by pressing and releasing the button in the normal manner). Hopefully they will take my recommendation on board! It would be far more convenient than having to press Menu, Down, Down, Enter.
  • SHill
Hi, I had a reply from Archos Tech Support yesterday with a new version of the software 2.1.44. I've installed it and the hard disk and clock problems appear cured. My daughter did mention something else that she thought didn't work under 2.1.43 but did on 2.1.21. When she gets home from school I'll check whether it is working under this new operating system version too. Did you get any response yourself?
  • tweck
Yep, I got the exact same response and my problem was solved too! I'm quite happy with their support so far - it seems as if they are listening to their customers.
  • SHill
Yes, I'm impressed by the support too. Far better than many companies. I checked with my daughter and it was the Sound Effects that weren't working under 2.1.43. Happy to say they are working with this newer version of the software so all hunky dory now. Great little player at such a good price for the space. Daughter is very happy with still 16 and half Meg to go!
  • tweck
When you say 'sound effects' do you mean the equaliser settings? They have seemed to work OK for me so far. They still work with the 2.1.44 firmware.
  • SHill
I think they are on the same menu as the equaliser. You have a choice of Rock, Jazz etc etc. My daughter found that if you tried to change the setting to anything but Rock there was no sound. The settings all work ok with the new version of the software. I've not listened to these sound effects so don't really know what I'm talking about on this one..... so what's new eh!!
;