BlackBerry 8100/8120/8130 Leather Desktop Stand – Support Forum

gps... true gps needed [BlackBerry 8100/8120/8130 Leather Desktop Stand - 141779]

Bonjour tous, hello all

I work for VIA Rail Canada away from home on the road and travel across Canada between Toronto, Vancouver, and north to Churchill for a living. I'm very new to both GPS and smartphones.

Less than a month ago, I acquired an 8100 through Rogers after explaining my need to the rep for GPS in remote areas, and was told not a problem... this device will suit you fine instead of other offerings from Palm, HTC, and HP.

BB maps, Google maps, Wayfinder will all work but my best bet will be TeleNav...

So I purchased an external receiver (Qstarz 32-32) and hit the road on my next assignment...

Interesting.... the first 2 recommended programs "died" as we left the suburbs and lost reception, only to pick up again 24 hours later when reception kicked in again approaching Toronto....

I contacted Wayfinder and was told the same will happen if I purchase their product.

So I called TeleNav customer service with fingers crossed, only to be told the same....

WOW! Talk about feeling screwed without even being kissed from Rogers....

I then contacted www.canadagps.com and "Tony" told me about "SPOT" with it's pre-load map capabilities...

Sounded too good to be true!

I tried the demo version which is very limited due to the time limit, so I pulled out the credit card and bought the full version with high hopes....

Only to find out that most maps that are sold (ie GEOTIFF.... etc) are only supported on the Windows Mobile platform and Palm OS.... the Java platform is not available....

The "SPOT" rep I then contacted proceeded to tell me that maps in the "worldfile" format are the only ones that can be pre-loaded.... otherwise I have to use WMS...

Which takes me full circle....

Twice you-know-what and still no kisses....

Not wanting to part from my crack-berry, I contacted Rogers for help only to be given an apology and a $100 dollar rebate towards a HTC TyTn....

I then called RIM and the csx rep I spoke with said he only knows of TeleNav and it's triangular formation that offers GPS... he was unaware of any other programs for Blackberry that provide this service...

Unreal....

Grrrr.... I've grown to love my 8100 and don't want to part from it but my work requires GPS outside of reception areas.... and I'm not a big fan of Microsoft.

Is my only option changing phones?

Or does anyone have any recommendations on how to purchase and pre-load "worldfile" maps onto my 8100....

Or even prehaps I've missed something here and you can fill me in...

Thanks for your help in advance.

C

;