Dane-Elec So Speaky 1TB Multimedia External HDD – Support Forum

172832 [Dane-Elec So Speaky 1TB Multimedia External HDD - 172832]

• StuBa

Please can you help with a few questions: can you tell me if the so speaky media player supports NTFS partioning, how much maximum GB can each file store, I hear FAT 32 takes 4GB max and I have a feeling that is only what the so speaky can take. I believe that would be an hours worth of video or so.

How does the firmware upgrade work?

I have the intention of using this device on many TVs, are there certain TVs it doesn't support, i can udertsand the old Tube Tvs won't work, is there a way around that to make it work or would you sell such a product that works on old TVs?

I also have a question of using this multimedia player with an external hard-drive from another brand, is that possible, so to use the so speaky as a purely a multimedia device with my many portable/external harddrives I currently own, possible, no? Thx

• PeteGraham

I can help with one of these questions.  Taken from Dane's website:

WARNING :
> DO NOT FORMAT YOUR SO SPEAKY HARD DRIVE !
IF YOU FORMAT SO SPEAKY IN NTFS, YOU'LL MAKE IT UNUSABLE ANYMORE AND IT WILL NOT BE COVERED BY THE WARRANTY.

Pete (I need JD) Graham ************** Damn you! Use forum search!!.

• StuBa
thx pal, I gathered that would be dodgy not only for the so speaky but to my computer aswell. So I won't try that. I didn't see on Dane's website that the so speaky standard model hasn't got NTFS. I did note that the So roadmovie multimedia player currently has NTFS, which looks a portable version of the So Speaky with key benefit of being able to play in car. It looks like the so roadmobie han't got firmware upgrade yet whatever that's supposed to do?? I am curious why the So speaky has the 4 in 1 card, what exactly does that enable me to do, would one use of the 4 in 1 card be to use my cameras card to input into the so speaky to allow me store files in there,  and this can be done without a pc but with a telly?
  • PeteGraham

Yeah, I believe that's what it's for.  Kind of like the PS3, you can copy things from the SD to the main memory in theory without the need of a PC. 

Unsure what the new firmware upgrade contains but as the old saying goes, if it ain't broke....

Haven't seen the road one, will have a browse as I like these kinds of units.

Pete (I need JD) Graham ************** Damn you! Use forum search!!.

• StuBa

appreciate that, hopefully we should get some answers soon as I have requested technical support to get on it, I am debating on whether to get a portable media player seperate, have just come accross this one http://www.expansys.com/d.aspx?i=158659 , this doesn't act like the multimedia to use with Tv but by itself, so i am hoping this works with portable/external drives in the same way as the Dane elec multimedia devices. Like can you connect an external harddrive to it, or the so speaky/so road movie? Thx

;