EXPANSYS 8GB SDHC – Support Forum

Won't complete format under XP [EXPANSYS 8GB SDHC - 202993]

• btfred
I ordered the 4G card thinking it was conventional SD (not HC) to work with my HP laptop. Once it arrived, since I needed a new card reader anyway, I bought a Maxell UA20 USB2 reader. Trying to format the card as FAT32 from WinXP(SP2) always reports "The format did not complete successfully". Windows Explorer opens the "Removable Disk" anyway and allows files to be copied to it but the contents are garbage (documents) or the files are not openable by the default application (pictures). When the card is removed (using either "Eject" or "Safely Remove") the contents are lost: on reconnection Explorer shows a blank disk. I have tried formatting with the Panasonic SD Formatter tool (v2.0) but that always reports that the "Memory Card is Write Protected. Please release the Write Protection Switch". The write protection switch is not set, though, in desperation, I have tried it in both positions. Anyone with any other suggestions or do I have a duff card?
  • Jack-JM
I had many times the problem (always reports that the "Memory Card is Write Protected. Please release the Write Protection Switch") with a standard SanDisk Ultra II 2 GB SD card and I just can see that I have some times to put 5-10 times the card on my multi-card reader/writer to finaly have the opportunities to copy file on it. I suppose that the switch on the card-reader/writer is too sensitive. I just had a 4GB SD HC card (Dane-elec) and now It''s just impossible to read it !! I think it''s malfunction otherwise the new SD HC card is only compatible with SD HC certified material !!!
  • btfred
Thanks for your response. My card was a Dane-Elec too. After my previous post I found that, although WinXP reported that the format did not complete successfully, I could write files to the card from Windows and read them successfully, but the files were still lost when the card was removed from the PC. I then found "CardTest" on sourceforge.net which reported that the card was faulty so I am returning it for replacement.
;