Garmin Quest GPS System – Support Forum

Default Speeds on different roads [Garmin Quest GPS System - 114281]

• steve54
How does the Quest calculate arrival times? I am unable to find a way of changing speeds at which you drive on different types of road (eg motorway, urban etc). Surely the speed at which you drive will affect your estimted arrival time. Is there any way to change default speeds on different roads? Any help or suggestions welcome.
I must admit I have found the same with the quest. In Mapsource you can alter the speeds of the roads by going to preferences and then routing. I assume that is where it will alter this for the quest, although not sure if that is the case. I have searched to see if what you are asking can be done on the quest, and like you cannot find an answer. I have noticed though that it seems to get more accurate the longer I have had it, though not sure why. It does give a good indictation of arrival time though, handy when I am on a long journey as can always give a rough eta.
  • steve54
Hadn't thought of that. I will try altering the figures in Mapsource to something extreme and see what effect it has on the arrival time calculated by the Quest - if any. Not sure why it would get more accurate - unless it maintains an average speed travelled on each type of road and uses that - but seems a bit unlikely.
;