Hitachi 1GB Microdrive – Support Forum

Hitachi 1GB Microdrive v. IBM 1GB Microdrive [Hitachi 1GB Microdrive - 112232]

• DREgbert
I am a little confused. I ordered a IBM 1GB Microdrive card. I received a Hitachi 1GB Microdrive card. I sent an email to us-info@expansys.com asking if these were the same product. The answer was: These should be ok. I sent an email to support@expansys.com asking if these were the same product. The answer was: Microdrive is the trademark of IBM, hence no company can manufacture Microdrives without mentioning IBM. You'll should have no problems. I read about it at CNET News.com. Their article said: "Derived from technology gained when Hitachi purchased IBM's hard drive business and formed a new joint venture, the Microdrive gives Hitachi Global Storage Technologies an avenue to compete with several miniature storage formats used in computers, handhelds, digital cameras and other electronics devices." OK. If these are the same product, why the big difference in price? Hitachi 1GB Microdrive Est. 3 Days $324.45 IBM 1GB Microdrive 1-5 In Stock $182.45
  • Dave K
Hello, The products come from two seperate Manufacturers. They are both created with the same specs, features and standards. The price difference is most likely the same as you would pay for a brand name on a clothing product. If you have any other questions you can email me directly at dck@expansys.com
;