HTC P3470 – Support Forum

Pay and Go beware [HTC P3470 - 163830]

• BakerPaul
Less than 2 weeks ago a bought an Htc P3470. Great phone and a nice balance of features,GPS etc for the price. However I did ask for advice from expansys before I purchased the phone stating that I was on Pay and Go. After much support and effort from expansys and O2 I have been told that Internet browsing will not be possible with this phone. I do not use a phone enough to warrant the expense of having a pay monthly contract. I just wanted a PDA phone and liked the idea of the satnav as a bonus. Although expansys say their phones are unlocked and sim free and will work with all networks I would just like to warn other people of my situation. I am now considering whether to keep it without Internet usage, sell it on ebay or go for one of O2's cheapest contracts.
  • Airax

Hi BakerPaul,

Not sure if I'm reading your post correctly but you say that O2 won't allow internet access on PAYG, only contract?
Not sure who told you that, but O2 definitly allow internet access to PAYG customers, they wouldn't create an internet bolt on for PAYG users if they didn't:

http://www.o2.co.uk/mobilestariffs/tariffs/paygo/o2webbolton

Its true that years ago (about 3ish) they didn't, but it hasn't been like that for a while. You will need to manually enter the settings for it though, they differ from contract ones, which is where a lot of O2 CS get confused.

• BakerPaul

Just to clarify I realise that the PAYG bolt on works as I signed up for it when I bought the P3470. I transferred the sim back to my old phone (Nokia 5300) and it worked. O2 say that their GPRS settings do not work with the P3470 and I would need to take out a contract. Also as I mentioned I have had good support from both O2 and Expansys but the final emails I received from O2 and technical support here at expansys said that as I was on PAYG it would not work. I've tried all the settings from www.filesaveas.com . I thought GPRS was a standard that was supported by all GPRS phones but O2 say that it is the phone and Expansys tech support say it's because I'm on PAYG. I realise the phone is a relatively new model but O2 didn't seem hopeful (they probably want me to take out a contract). thanks for your reply.

This was from O2 :

"I'm afraid I'm unable to tell you if we'll be supporting this phone in the future as it uses different GPRS connections to what we have on O2 Pay and Go. As we don't support the mobile web as O2 Pay Monthly does, it's unlikely you'll be able to use your new phone with us."

• Airax

Hi BakerPaul, the settings on filesaeas.com don't always work for all devices. If you have some spare time, try and a .CAB file that contains the O2 settings for pre-pay and post pay.

I've had this problem lots of times with getting various SIM free WM devices to work on O2. In the end, even entering the settings manually didn't work. Using the cab files did. Still can't tell you why, but it works.

• BakerPaul

Many thanks for your reply. Many more thanks if you can point me in the direction of a CAB file that would work for this phone.

• Airax

http://www.4winmobile.com/forums/htc-polaris/14689-orbit-2-o2-settings-needed-pay-go-web-use-thanks.html

The above looks like a useful link, and worth reading..... 

• BakerPaul

Still no luck with that. Think i'll try the £15 a month O2 simplicity contract. It's only a 30 day contract I believe and if I find I'm not using the web I'll live without it and cancel the contract. I'll still keep an eye out in case there is an update. Thanks once again for your help.

• BakerPaul
I'm a real newbie to using the internet on a mobile. I've just been trying different web addresses one of which worked. Then I noticed that the first part of the address was automatically changed to wsp:// instead of the usual http: .I'm now assuming that as I've been trying to use the net with addresses that were pre-installed on my phone, all of which start with http: , this was the reason it was not working. Can someone clarify this. I'm also assuming that this  is WAP over GPRS that I'm using. Well at least it's working so thanks for all help.
;