HTC P4550 TyTN II – Support Forum

Petition to HTC for improved video performance [HTC P4550 TyTN II - 148524]

• japher

Just found this whilst browsing. For any mod reading: this could be a good candidate for a sticky. 

I think that most people who have bought a TyTN II have found the video playback capabilities to be just plain bad. Now you can have your say by signing at the below link.

http://www.petitiononline.com/tytn2vid/petition.html

• Xmoo

Yeah I was number 14 or something. Yoni plz make a sticky of this.

Yours Sincerely, Mohammad "Xmoo" M

• dawsonas
I think you will find most people with tytn II devices will be corporate users who dont really give a monkeys about the video performance. Cant see this making any difference whatsover either all that will happen isa new device will come out let me think Tytn III
  • colin987
I had a TytnII for a while - I didnt notice any problem with it - can someone tell me what the problem is and where it shows up most?
  • Beavis

I have to agree with dawsonas on this one.  I don't watch video on my PDA and have no desire too either.  I would rather HTC spent their development time improving the general functionality of the device rather than waisting it on something like that.

If you want that sorta thing why not go to XDA developers and actually help the community to improve it?

------------------------------------ *insert whitty clever sig here* ------------------------------------

• Xmoo

Try to play a movie in your TyTN II. It lags all the time. Even when you decode it it still lags.

You guys are right. But why puting axpensive hardware in the TyTN II without letting people use 100% of the hardware? Waist of money for us :S

• japher

Beavis, if you visit xda-developers, you'll see exactly how happy that community is about this problem.

I think what annoys people is:

- they've bought an apparently superior phone, which actually performs much worse than models they had three years ago

- they own a high powered piece of hardware that is only held back by poor drivers. The video drivers are rendering without hardware acceleration for pete's sake!

• Xmoo

JAPHER. 100% correct. Specialy the last thing.

• dawsonas

ok lets put this into perspective here.

there are, at the time I wrote this reply 2121 petition signatures, some of which look a bit dodgy. A company I know of have 5,000 of these and have actually effectively disabled video playback on the devices through a lockdown policy - they buy these things for email primarily plus a couple of line of business apps.

I'm not disagreeing with those who want better playback but I just think the whole exercise if somewhat futile. I just cannot see the point in watching video at 320x240 just seems a complete waste of time, and eyesight to me - thats a just a personal opinion

• colin987

I disagree, video in 320x240 is good enough for me, especially if its une film francais comme Belle de Jour lol!

But due to me being departed from my TytnII I cant try it on that. If video playback is not good that would be a shame?

Thing is what format are they encoding to?  Mpeg1 then playing back thro PocketTV utility has worked well for mepreviously, Mp4 has tended to be a bit ropey on the Touch if its encoded at too high a bit rate 

• japher

I'm not sure I get your point here dawsonas. There are many users that may not use feature X, and they of course won't be bothered by this. The many users that do use feature X, will be bothered by this. If you're the former, I'm not sure why you're interested in convincing the latter that they're wrong or wasting their time.

Also, just to clear up an apparent misconception: this isn't only about video playback, this is about the graphics performance of the device in general. It affects any DirectDraw apps.

I'm not here to convince anyone that they should care about this. But this petition (and the recent feedback questionairre from HTC) is a chance for those that do care to have their (possibly futile) say.  If you have no interest, then by all means don't sign.

• Xmoo

I'm not disagreeing with those who want better playback but I just think the whole exercise if somewhat futile. I just cannot see the point in watching video at 320x240 just seems a complete waste of time, and eyesight to me - thats a just a personal opinion

It's not just seeing Video. But also Youtube + Video clips (Music)

;