HTC S710 – Support Forum

Unable to charge s710 using data cable [HTC S710 - 145682]

• pramodhrao

Hi,

I need to desperately find an alternative and easy way of charging my s710 other than using my regular charger. I was told that I will be able to do this using the data cable, but cannot seem to get it working. Any help here would be greatly appreciated.

TIA,

• Yoni

Is the phone recognised when connected to a PC? 

Yoni,
eXpansys Product Support,
Forum Search

• PeteGraham

Charging mine right now in work, USB data cable being used.  It's not even the one supplied with the phone. 

I don't know if it makes a difference but I have activesync installed...

Pete (I need JD) Graham ************** Damn you! Use forum search!!.

• pramodhrao

Thanks for your replies. 

I have just installed the active sync. However, I have just charged my phone using the regular power charger. I will try to see the next time my battery runs low to see if installing active sync helped or not.

Thanks for your posts and this is what I really like in a forum. If this had been posted earlier, believe me, I tried to search and could not find anything in the results which matched my requirements.

I have seen some of the folks here use another method to charge their S710, so I thought I would just share it with you. You get an adapter which is like Nokia --> motorola V3. This seems to work for them perfectly. I am planning to try this out soon and will keep you posted on it.

TIA

• pramodhrao

I tried out installing the active sync and I still do not see the icon for charging when I connect thru the data cable. I just see that the light at the top of the phone flashes in the normal mode and is not red as in charging. I am at my wits end as the battery lasts me for less than a day due to extensive use of the mailbox and other options in the phone. One thing I noticed was that I have windows mobile 6 on the device. Any other inputs would be greatly appreciated as I need to have the alternative way of charging my phone.

TIA

• Airax

The S710 100% charges from USB. However there are a couple of things that can stop it charging.

1) Make sure its not plugged into a USB hub. USB hubs don't often have enough power for some USB devices/charging. Try plugging it directly into a PC. On some PC's the USB sockets on the front are hubs too, so try plugging it into the back/trying different sockets. Silly I know, but hey. 

2) If your batteries dead, or close to, USB charging doesn't seem to work (its a bit hit and miss). I've seen this with loads of USB charging devices. 

3) Make its not your S710, if it connects to ActiveSync okay then don't worry. But sometimes my device would refuse to connect, or even charge, even though being plugged in. It took a hard reset to fix. I still don't know why it did that.

• pramodhrao

Found out the reason and it is an option in Power Management which can be turned on and off. The option is "When device is turned on, do not charge the battery when connected to the PC". This needs to be set to "off". Thanks for all the responses.

BTW, could some one tell me how to turn this thread off and make it sticky, in case someone else has the same problem?

TIA

• PeteGraham

Done

Pete (I need JD) Graham ************** Damn you! Use forum search!!.

;