HTC Touch Diamond – Support Forum

Using Google Maps on the HTC Touch Diamond [HTC Touch Diamond - 168037]

• eXpansysau

As the HTC Touch Diamond is seen in some circles as a competitor to the Apple iPhone, we have been asked whether the Google maps feature on the iPhone can also be used on the Touch Diamond.  The answer is yes it can, except it is not preinstalled like on the iPhone.  Instead, you just download it from here:

http://www.google.com/mobile/default/maps/index.html 

• GrumbleBum

Hi I have just got the HTC diamond and have tried to get Google maps with GPS going without any luck, I have ran quickGPS okay and then opened Google Maps and selected the use GPS option and it goes looking for satellites but just sits there with zero found,  Can anyone offer some advice on what might be wrong.

Thanks

Old GrumbleBum 

• Yoni

Were you trying it indoors or outdoors? 

Yoni,
eXpansys Product Support,
Forum Search

You need to hit the "Track Location" menu option in Google Maps, otherwise the GPS won't kick in.

hope this helps.

• GrumbleBum

Hi Yoni

I am outside, also tried in several locations.  Have ran the QuickGPS and that updated to my location but when I started Google Maps and then go to menu and select GPS it does not find any satellites

Phillip

• GrumbleBum
Just ran Google Maps again and looked at Menu and could not find Track Location  is there something I am missing or wrong version???

I have Google Maps version 1.2.0.17 on a Touch Diamond and halfway up the the Menu between Clear Map and Show Traffic there is a 'Track Location' option. When I hit that I 'fly' from San Francisco to Dublin Ireland. Very very odd if you don't have it. Maybe there is a problem with your GPS and that option is only visible if the GPS is detectable. Sorry if so, sounds like trouble. :-(

• GrumbleBum

Hi,  I have Verson 2.0.1 installed and looks like it is slightly different to yours, however I tried a menu Item called "My Location" and that seemed to get things going. However when I drove with it the Gps kept losing satellites and after 10 mins picked up again and plotted a location about 5 kms from where I was, it then lost again and a while later picked up again and whilst I drove along the highway it showed a location up in the bush.

I realise G/Maps is a freebie but should it not suppose to be reasonable accurate??

One of the reasons I wish to use a Phone GPS is that I am coming to Europe on a Holiday and to visit newly discovered relatives in Ireland. I have bought a TomTom 720 to use in the Hire Cars but thought a hand held GPS in a phone would be handy when walking the streets etc.

Can you advise if G/Maps would be suitable or if not what else I could try without spending a fortunate (not much left after paying for this holiday)

Thanks

Phillip

Hi

It is expected to perform normally in a car. Perhaps you should drive slower!!! :-) (sorry, couldn't resist & no offense taken, I hope).

I've used mine on foot to find hidden alleys and restaurants successfully but you do have to occassionally stop and have a pint while you wait for the sats to sync up. Generally, a few mins patience and she responds normally. I've used it here without any trouble. Mind someone doesn't snatch it from you though - please mind yourself!

I'm a Dubliner - give us a shout if you're stuck in the city. 

Kev

;