i-mate PDA-N GPS Pocket PC – Support Forum

PDA-N GPS Reception Quality [i-mate PDA-N GPS Pocket PC - 129261]

• CConnor
I've spent the week battling with the PDA-N and as good a little device it is I just can't get the GPS to work. I've installed TomTom 5, Pocket Earth and VisualGPSce all see the COM4 (9600) GPS device. But I don't get more than a notch or two appear any one of the GPS stat GUIs. It's as if the internal ariel isn't connected or something. Even standing in a field out the back with no trees on a clear day doesn't make any difference. I know it can't be location based I have an O2 Exec with a TomTom Bluetooth device and that works fine in the same room. So I'm guessing there's something wrong ?
  • PeteGraham
Have you tried connecting the TT bluetooth GPS to this machine and seeing if that works?
  • CConnor
Just tested it, hadn't thought to try that doh ! At exactly the same location to the millimeter with the bluetooth device I get 4 bars in the blue and a load of others showing a signal of some sort. With the PDA-N native GPS there's one bar at half strength only :(.
  • dreaddan
I Can get 100% siganl on minw with ttn5.21. You mention that tt bluetooth works in the same room. What kinda signal do you get out side? Dan
  • PeteGraham
Is it possible you have a faulty GPS unit?
  • CConnor
That's that I'm thinking / hoping, can I get an RMA to get another one out please ?
  • Sadsack
question to you all. I have installed TT 5.21 onto my PDA however not sure what GPS device to select. How do i know which is the internal device as it alway gives me a connecting to gps device if i select TT GPS? In one screen it states connecting and does nothing and in another screen it states waiting for signal? any help
  • PeteGraham
Sadsack, what equipment are you using? Do you also have one of these imates?
  • CConnor
Com4 baud 9600 should make it work. It's sees the GPS device on my PDA-N but I get no signal. Still waiting on an answer for a returns please :(.
  • Sadsack
Hi, I am using the imate PDA N device. TT gives me the option of selecting a few GPS devices TT wireless gps, cable gps, other bluetooth devices and other NMEA GPS. TT Wirless is the only one that comes back with no valid signal or conncecting to device and then does nothing. Regards the COM ports, if i go into bluetooth i can have in or out com, which one do i select and then i only have an option of com 6 or 7. I know i must be being lame here.sorry cheers
  • PeteGraham
You're not being lame. If you want to use the in-built GPS device, you would go to other NMEA GPS. This should then give you the option of selecting the built in unit. Wireless ones will be ones which use wifi, or infrared. Cable speaks for itself Other bluetooth devices would start the search util to allow you to use another company's GPS device Other NMEA should mean another device already connected. I have the option for COM port too - when I look at my bluetooth settings through Windows Mobile's bluetooth manager (NOT using any TT or Navman software) and you are connected to a bluetooth GPS device, it will show you the port it is using on the screen. My Navman device seems to favour COM8. When you're connected to an external bluetooth GPS device you will find out the COM port then you should go into the navigation software and tell the software to use the same port. When you connect to a bluetooth GPS device, it actually uses serial connectivity. It's like having an invisible serial cable. This is why it still refers to COM ports. Hope this was of some help to you. Please post back with anything else you may need help with.
  • PeteGraham
CConnor - I'm sorry but I don't work for eXpansys. Sometimes the mods don't read the threads, so your best bet would be to go through the official RMA returns procedure. I am sorry if you have already done this but so many people are surprised when they hear this and haven't actually tried it! Link is here
;