i-mate SP5m Music Smartphone – Support Forum

ActiveSync over VPN to Exchange Server issues [i-mate SP5m Music Smartphone - 125726]

• GarethL
Hi - hope someone can help. I have my SP5M set up and working fine in all but one respect. ActiveSync 4.1 is installed fine and the phone sycs fine with my laptop. I have it setup to sync email, calendar and contacts to my Exchange Server at work and Tasks, Favorites and Media sync to my laptop. When I connect the SP5M to the laptop via the USB cable everything syncs fine, the phone connects to the Exchange Server and laptop with no issues. However I cannot get ActiveSync to sync with the Exchange server directly using GPRS or WiFi. I have a VPN connection set up to connect to my work network. I know this works as I have tested it with by setting up an iMAP account to the same Exchange server. When I use the iMAP account my techy admin at work tells me he sees my connect to the VPN. When I try ActiveSync he does not see me connected to the VPN. I have treble checked all the settings according to iMate's PDFs online and they are fine. The specfic error I get is "The server could not be reached . This can be caused by temporary network conditions. Support code: 0x80072EFD." And yes I have setup the Work URL Exception (this is proved by the iMAP account working). My view is that ActiveSync is not trying to connect via the VPN. Please help as if this one last thing won't work them the SP5M is useless to me and I will send it back to Expansys! Thanks G
Hi Gareth, Is your account opened for OMA ok? Is it possible it's open for imap and not for Outlook? Are you using the IP address as the work exception or do you use DNS to resolve for the mail server in both IMAP and Outlook? Andy
  • GarethL
Andy Yes my account is open for OMA as I had an HP6340 before and that worked fine! We use DNS to resolve the name and I am using the same settings in IMAP and Outlook. Any thoughts? Thanks Gareth
Hi Gareth, More questions, sorry! Did you recently upgrade to Exchange 2003 SP2? Do you use Windows Sharepoint services? Have you been able to check that the 2003 SE device can _still_ connect ok over GPRS? Is your SSL port definitely open on your exchange server (mind you I guess you are using SSL for IMAP, but anyway....) Can you connect to the site through http://your.mail-server.com/exchange and especially http://your.mail-server.com/oma from the device ? Andy
  • GarethL
Andy We are running Exchange SP1, We are not using Sharepoint. Yes my old 6340 still works over GPRS. We don't use SSL again I checked that. I have tried connecting to to the server name "server.domain.local" via the browser on the SP5M over GPRS and it doesn't resolve the name "Page cannot e found", which confirms is strange as the IMAP client resolves it fine??? This one is driving me nuts!! Thinking of doing a full hard reset and starting again but I have done that twice already! Any more ideas? Thanks Gareth
Hi There We are able to put you in touch with some one at i_mate who can talk you though how to sort this out. Please email sales@expansys.com with you contact phone number. In the Subject please write FAO Jane Richardson -re FORUMS. Also include a link to the forum thread. Thanks Jane
  • GarethL
Jane Just wanted to thank you for your help. I was very impressed that Expansys were able to get someone from iMate to call me so promptly. Neil at iMate was on the phone to me late in the evening and got it sorted out. For those of you who stated that iMate support's was non-existent well I beg to differ! You just need to alert Expansys and they will ensure you are supported. For any who are interested, we ended up forcing the SP5M to go through the VPN for all traffic by telling it that the GPRS connection connects to work and to resolve all names through Work. If you need detailed settings then post a response and I will type them up. It is a bit of a work around as it also means my web browsing goes via my work VPN but it all works fine and the phone now syncs every 5mins with my Exchange Server at work. Neil at iMate has assured me they will try and implement a better fix soon (I suspect this will involve some sort of hosts program as per W2003 Mobile). Thanks G
  • kkrull
GarethL, Would you please explain in detail? I understand the basic concepts, yet I am unable to make it work. I use an SP5, but the problem is the same: no activesync over VPN. I also have an email in to support.
  • tfk
Hi, Your text is quite informative. I am using SP-5 and want to use VPN but unable to connect it. I have configured it as per my I.T instructions but no body is guiding me in right direction. I am using GPRS but could not connect VPN. Would you please guid me about all the settings. my email is "tariq.farid@geo.tv" Thanx.
;