i-mate SP5m Music Smartphone – Support Forum

ROM Update to imate sp5m doesnt work under Vista [i-mate SP5m Music Smartphone - 125726]

• markkeny
Hi, Hope someone can help me. I bought an sp5m (from expansys) a while back now (8+ months) and I think its a great phone apart from its missing the ability to receive push email. I note from imate''s web site that they have a ROM update to the phone that will enable this, but having downloaded it and tried to run it under Vista (both with UAC turned on and off) the ROM doesnt update. The phone seems to stop at the boot screen and vista cancels the program at 0% updated. Has anybody else come accross this problem, and also come up with a solution ?? Thanks Mark
  • PeteGraham
Have you tried running it in compatibility for XP SP2 mode? Pete ************** Click here for naughty stuff ;)
  • markkeny
Err no, didnt even know that it existed. Will try it and revert. Thanks for the tip
  • PeteGraham
Right click on the shortcut for the item you are running and there should be a tab called Compatibility - you should be able to set it in there. Pete ************** Click here for naughty stuff ;)
  • markkeny
Tried it last night and got the same error message as before, ie the ROMUpdate has stopped working and Vista will shut the program down. Found this on the net, which I will try and let you know if it works: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=291723
  • PeteGraham
Brilliant - thanks for taking the time to post. Pete ************** Click here for naughty stuff ;)
  • markkeny
So I couldnt get the update working under Vista. So the next thing I tried was: 1. create a partition on the hard disk (be careful whilst doing this not to lose all your existing data) 2. insall xp on it 3. reboot ....however, this doesnt work either as the vista boot manager isnt compatible with the old xp one (or at least i couldnt get it to work) - so remove all of the above so to actually get it working, I had to: 1. buy another hard disk drive 2. remove the vista one and insert new 3. install xp on the old 4. install outlook 5. install active sync 6. sync them together to get a copy of your phone details into outlook 7. download rom update 8. run rom update through active sync 9. re sync newly updated phone with outlook to get the data back on your phone 10. remove the new hard disk, and put the old one vista one back in I hope imate fix this update utility to run under vista soon, I couldnt bear to do all this again. Hopefully others may learn from my experiences !!
;