Inventel BlueDSL Bluetooth ADSL Router with USB Dongle – Support Forum

Possible reason for Router lockups [Inventel BlueDSL Bluetooth ADSL Router with USB Dongle - 102814]

  • simonc
  • Posts: 12
  • Join Date: 3 十二月 2003
I, along with many of you I expect, have suffered from my BlueDSL locking up on occasion. It often seemed to coincide with using Shareaza, bit torrent, or MSN. I used to just thing it must have been dodgy design of the router and the complete lack of support on Inventel's part didn't help. However ... a couple of months ago I set my parents up with ADSL and got them a D-Link router and initially everything was fine. However my brother recently came home from university and their router also started locking up and I noticed that he has also been using MSN and various other p2p programs. I have since found that D-Link reckon this problem is due to the DNS proxy in the router and certain applications which fill up the memory with DNS resolutions. Their solution is to disable the DNS proxy in the router. See here for their guide: http://www.dlink.com.au/tech/drivers/files/routers/DSL-xxx_Disabling_Proxy_DNS.pdf The symptoms are certainly very similar and I wondered whether someothing similar is happening with the BlueDSL. Unfortuantely I'm not home at the moment and so cannot check this yet but is there a setting anywhere in the BlueDSL for disabling its DNS proxy (if indeed it has one)? Alternatively is there a setting somewhere on the PC side of things that anyone reckons could help? Perhaps manually configuring the DNS server would work? I'll have a play tonight and see if I can make any sense out of it and post back any success or otherwise I find!
  • simonc
  • Posts: 12
  • Join Date: 3 十二月 2003
Hmm - well my first few experiments haven't worked very well. First I tried manually entering my ISP's DNS servers in the 'expert' page of the BlueDSL but a few minutes of Shareaza trying to download a bit torrent froze up the connection within a few minutes. I then tried manually entering the DNS servers in the Windows TCP/IP settings so that it would (I thought) bypass the router's DNS relay. I'm not sure whether this happened or not but the thing still froze up after a few minutes of Shareaza anyway. So either the BlueDSL's problem is completely different to the D-Link's or the way I'm trying to get round the problem simply isn't effective. Oh well :(
;