Motorola H700 Bluetooth Headset – Support Forum

What is the point of the pin number? [Motorola H700 Bluetooth Headset - 124888]

• useme

If the pin number is 0000 (needed when first pairing) and is the same in every manual / headset what is the point?

Or can you change it?

• anitalg
The point is so the man sitting next to you cant pair his headset with your phone.  If you suddenly got a message saying "enter pin" or whatever, you would wonder what it was  if you werent pairing anything with it!
  • useme

"If you suddenly got a message saying "enter pin" or whatever, you would wonder what it was  if you werent pairing anything with it!"

But if that did happen to me I would probably give 0000 or 1234 a go just to see what will happen.

• anitalg

God help you if you ever get bluejacked, someone sends you a virus, or spam, or very nasty offensive photos.  If you choose to receive stuff from sources you dont know, thats your choice.  Not mine mind you!

• MaggieQ

It's not possible for someone to pair their headset with your phone.  A headset can only be made discoverable :o)

I can see why you think it is pointless.  The easy answer to your question would be to say that needing a pin to pair 2 bluetooth devices is just a standard protocol.  Why is it 0000?  Why not?  Your headset is hardly going to contain any personal or incriminating data  ;o) 

• anitalg
Maggie - I know that, but the gentleman said he if something came up asking for a pin he would try 0000 or 1234.  This could obviously be anything! 
  • MaggieQ
Anita - my reply wasn't directed at you.  It was for the useme guy  :o)
;