Navman PiN Pocket PC + GPS V2 – Support Forum

Navman PiN firmware upgrade. [Navman PiN Pocket PC + GPS V2 - 113072]

• AussieRodney
I have followed the suggestion of someone on the SIRF II thread, to create this thread with an appropriate heading, to capture the attention of newbies to the Navman GPS, as I was just a few short weeks ago. The process described below has, according to all of the accounts on this forum so far (including mine), produced a dramatic improvement in the GPS reception of the PiN. Go to www.fiddaman.info/navmanpin/download.htm & download the zip file. Unzip it & copy the 3 files into a new folder on your PiN. Tap on the exe file, tap on F/W Version & you should see something like: "Mitac Version 2.3.2-GSW2-2.05.024-C1PROD1.0_6A" - OK on that, then feed in the suggested bin & s file names & tap on Update. The process takes about 2 minutes to complete. If you then tap on F/W Version again, you should see something like: "Version 2.4.12.09-XMitac-C4PROD2.00000003729*76". Hopefully, prepare to be amazed at the improved performance.
  • nicaf
Help I have followed the instructions but when it comes to updating the 'status' states "Transmitting target S-Records file.." and does not progress beyond that. If i reset and check the F/W version there is apparently no firmware. The Repair function will not restore. Any suggestions?
  • DBH
Ouch! This is the first firmware failure report I've seen with the PiN. I hope that someone can help resolve this. It's a good reminder of the risks involved in updating firmware. I'm glad that I took the risk because the reward was great in terms of improved performance. But having had a bad computer mainboard bios flashing experience, I know how bad it feels when something like this goes wrong.
Worked fine for me DBH.... What 'S' File dod you use???? I used the 'MIO168_GPS_Firmware_R03.s' - the other one may not work on your particular model. Toothy.
  • DBH
Nick's the one who had the problem, not me. My update went like clockwork, as has everyone else's but Nick's. From what I've read, I believe that others have tried both 'S' files with success -- they function differently, but they both function. This sounds more like a failure in the firmware update process. I don't fully understand how the firmware update works with a device like the PiN. That is, I don't know if it's like a computer mainboard, where if you have a bad BIOS flash that it can't be recovered and the device must be sent in for repair. What we need here is someone with better technical knowledge.
  • pellis
My update went OK too but I had to do a soft reset to get out of the update program. I can now see satellites even through my Focus' heated windscreen. Paul
  • AvronW
This upgrade has worked wonders for my PiN... After coming close to discarding it because it so seldom achieved a lock and was totally undependable, it now achieves a lock inside the house! At last, this little machine is back in my good books.
  • DBH
I wonder how many people have thought of discarding their PiN, or at least not using it so often, due to bad reception. Seems to me this could be a major customer satisfaction issue that might cause people to shop elsewhere next time rather than return to Navman. Am I the only one who thinks that Navman is absolutely nuts not to encourage everyone to do this simple, free firmware update that turns the PiN from an OK device into a real customer pleaser?
  • sammy81
Hi, Im having the same problem as nicaf...... i copy over the firmware files (3 of them) and run the program. First of all, when I click on F/W version, it states "Read Failed!" And then I load in the loader and target file and hit update, the same message comes up every time: "Transmitting target S-Records file.." and it just stays at that. Can someone please help out?
Hi Sammy - When you run the program, make sure you select 'Com2' (The port the GPS is operating on - by default) then click on F/W Version. After this, find and load the 's & bin files'....Should work mate. Toothy..
  • sammy81
Ok, upon opening the program..... i selected com2 and hit F/W version, it then states "COM2 can't be opened." and theres no way to go on from there.......
  • montag
Have you checked that some other program is running and using GPS device ??? Stop any program and try again...
;